Follow Me on Facebook

Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Doggie Dating: Part 1

     Though feeding, walking and poop scooping for another creature forces one to break out of selfish tendencies, it doesn't mean you'll naturally want to apply those considerations to someone else. Generally I live by the rule that a dog should be too big to fit it's entire body inside a purse. But ladies seem to be carrying larger bags these days and dog and rat breeds appear to have blended. I suppose there are advantages to using a hamster wheel for their daily walk but the oddest thing about accessory dogs is how they reflect on their owners.

     She swore she had friends but I never met a single one of them. Our conversation topics included football and her rat dog so it could've worked had we lasted until preseason. Unfortunately the headlines were just too thin to stay away from constant thoughts of Fluffy and her dietary restrictions.  What I really noticed from this was how we like to take something outside of us, our dog, job, a conflict and use it to mask the fact that we're still talking about ourselves.

     After long days I struggle to have a selfless attitude on a 3am walk around the neighborhood but my pup and step counter remind me why it's good to serve something outside myself. Unfortunately that really doesn't translate to other relationships without a focused effort. Too often I've been the center of my conversations, directing them where I want instead of listening and allowing the people I care about to share what's on their hearts and minds. Paola is still a puppy and learning to listen to me and follow commands. Soon she'll know I'm serious when I tell her not to run from me or lovingly leap at the elderly, but I have work to do too and no training excuses to hide behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment