Follow Me on Facebook

Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Tinder: Part 2

   Insisting we meet before exchanging numbers, she left me refreshing the app to see how long I'd be anticipating an awkward hug from a complete stranger. Just a month ago I'd been at the same Aroma cafe table waiting to meet someone who would reach out days later to apologize for not showing up. Again I found myself double checking profile pictures against every brunette through the door before she rushed in scanning. Repeating her name in my head for the last ten minutes prepped me to say hello for the first time only to be corrected on my pronunciation.

     Stories of mismatches, pen pals disappointing in person and fake phone calls tried to derail my confidence. Many still support the stigma of online dating, leaving the beta generation no choice but to triumph it's brave new opportunities. To admit defeat and circle the copious flaws associated, offers little sympathy from the doubters. Any relationship regardless of its origins will have defects. Though a certain pressure for success seems to loom when love springs from synchronized thumbs swiping in the night.

     A manufactured connection as it was could thrive on chemistry alone or fizzle in the banalities of getting acquainted. Most things are beyond our control and the person who catches our eye is no exception. Failing to remember this fact due to the ease of stumbling upon their profile, will set you up for an outing as two-dimensional as the airbrushed headshot that brought you there. Finding the one could be a swipe away but relating to someone takes work and there's no app for that yet.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment