Follow Me on Facebook

Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Venues On the Menu

   Los Angeles has too many options. You can fake your art history knowledge at the Getty, hike to the falls in Malibu and overdose on roses at the Pasadena Tournament House all in one day barring a presidential visit. Across the 4700 square miles of LA county never darkening the same door twice is possible but lacks the charm of a Cheers style welcome. Though breaking up routines and exploring new haunts can be the answer to meeting someone new or at least finding a cool place to take them.

    Squeezing through the dark passage I could smell more than see in the dimly lit Harvard and Stone. By the time I reached the bar I'd passed a sweaty bouncer on his third shift, two gentlemen experimenting with the proper amount of Axe body spray (zero fellas) and the sterilized reminder of a drunk's failure to reach the bathroom the night before. Three scans of the cocktail menu allowed my eyes to adjust but it was clear I'd struggle to properly identify faces here.

     Days earlier I had the chance to explore the place in daylight while working on a commercial and I returned for the promise of live music. Electronic shrieks and whines exploded off the stage at first reminding me why admission was free, but a variety of styles soon left my ears relieved and ringing. I love places like this for my own sake but details are important when taking a girl out. Finding somewhere fun where you can speak over the din can be as rare as a bar in Silverlake without PBR. Something about screaming in my date's ear to ask a question as the music cuts out doesn't sound appealing, but then again there are only so many naked statues one can appreciate before craving some nightlife.

No comments:

Post a Comment