Follow Me on Facebook

Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Never Say Break Up

     As the song wails, it's "hard to do" but most strive to make breaking up more difficult than it has to be. The words themselves somehow possess a bitter flavor, leaving heartbreakers hankering for turndowns with a less transparent taste. Cutting to the point feels crass, like the time you repeated a joke and regrettably realized it was racist. Instead we dance around them like a campfire, simultaneously attracted and repelled by self preserving instincts. Though as much as closing the bathroom door fixes a flooding toilet, declining to say the words can escalate matters and leave you apologizing for someone else's crap.

     Surrounded by lush green jungle perpetually awaiting rain, we rehearsed our scene. An entire world away my thoughts had missed the flight, arrested by someone left behind and then my family as we mourned the passing of our patriarch. Working in sweat and sun with constant efforts to communicate beyond my means it proved impossible to think beyond the day. Soon home felt more like a memory repressed. Returning to find ends left untied and a heart grown fonder, reinforced in me the value of communicating with finality.

     Direct and confident people are scarce here. It's not easy being honest in a city that so often promotes pretenders. Unfortunately we can't please everybody all the time and refusing to speak hard truth because it's hard, is cruel. I'd like to say I clear this high bar, but if I could I suppose it wouldn't be high enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment